Battles and Truths of Fighting Body Image

 
Body image. Overweight. Eating disorder. Health and fitness. NaSHEville. She’s in the City.
 

“What if the priority and metric for how we feel about ourselves isn’t a number on a scale or a photo on Instagram, but is reframed in light of internal health and confidence in the inherent beauty we’re all made with?”


Let’s be honest. None of us are batting 1,000 when we look in the mirror. Even on our best days at our best weights, insecurity somehow slithers and deceives its way in. Women’s Health data tells us that 91% of American women are dissatisfied in some way with their bodies – 9 out of 10! Who are we to blame for this staggering issue?

The $6 billion per year beauty, health, and fitness industry? To an extent, yes. While most corporations, health products, fitness instructors, and dietitians do have our ultimate health and longevity of life in mind, it’s no secret that many are toxic market machines, fueled by inauthentic-comparisons, empty promises, and disappointing how-to’s.

 Doctors and nutrition specialists tell us that the “ideal, marketed female body type,” the kind we see promoting the clothes we buy and the flavorless grain-free, dairy-free, joy-free food we eat, that physiological body shape can only naturally be achieved by 5% of the female population. Yet they’ve convinced the other 95% of us to keep trying and buying to beautiful!

Please hear us, we are in no way knocking healthy living, exercise, or concern for the best your body can be. What we are asking is, what if the priority and metric for how we feel about ourselves isn’t a number on a scale or a photo on Instagram, but is reframed in light of internal health and confidence in the inherent beauty we’re all made with?

292090_2118648134971_393548819_n.jpg
IMG_3782.jpg

Brooke and I sat down to talk a bit more about the chronic issue of body image that women of every size and age battle day in and day out. We explore the perils of comparison, social media, and shame – the relentless enemies that disarm our efforts toward contentment with who are and what we look like.

We share details of our own personal struggles with extreme weight fluctuation, obsessive dieting, and resetting our own perspectives, priorities, and mindset for positivity in on-going attempts to love a little more about what we see in the mirror.

IMG_8866.JPG

We’ll also introduce for the first time our newest NaSHEville imitative that will launch later this spring, #WeAreNaSHEville. We’re committing to no longer use models that perpetuate beauty defined only by the 5%, and we’re inviting all of you to come be the SHE’S that are the true face of our brand.

#WeAreNaSHEville

#WeAreNaSHEville is our way to day by day, woman by woman, photo by photo, re-instill in our community that nothing about being the same makes us beautiful, and everything about being different does.

#WeAre logo.jpeg